I bet you’re thinking …
Doesn’t Zippy love her champagne and baked stuffed Maine lobster (that Emeril used to make for us at the Venus de Milo in Swansea, MA)?
Well, yes I do, but comfort food is usually the food that you grew up on, and this Jewish girl grew up in a mixed Jewish-Italian neighborhood, so when I reach for food that comforts me, it’s usually pasta, apizza, or the FIRST FOOD I GET when I go back home to Rhode Island…a Caserta’s spinach pie.
I do make them at home, but NOTHING beats the original.
Zippy’s Spinach Pie recipe
- 5 cloves of garlic
- olive oil
- Pizza dough – either store bought or homemade
- 2 cans of no salt added spinach – YES CANNED!!
- 1 can chopped olives
- crushed red pepper
- NOTE: we try to reduce our salt intake as the olives AND the low-sodium canned spinach have plenty. You can salt to taste if you prefer.
- Let the dough get to room temperature
- slice garlic & saute in olive oil
- add the spinach to the garlic & oil
- add olives & crushed red pepper
- cook over a medium heat until the flavors permeate the spinach (taste)
- roll out dough & cut into 4 pieces
- stuff each with a mound of the spinach mixture
- bake at 400 until dough is golden brown & slightly crisp
- MANGIA!! Eat Bubbala!
For more fall recipes, visit a few of my favorite bloggers.
- Paleo Clam Chowder Recipe by Confessions of an Overworked Mom
- Chilly Day Comfort Food by Controlled Confusion
- Homemade Apple Pie Recipe by Life with Lisa
- Spinach Pie Recipe by Champagne Living
- November Comfort Food by Tools 2 Tiaras
- Comforting Cheese Soup Recipe by Rajean Blomquist
Would your brand like to participate in #FallFun31? Fill out this form for more information.