If you want to get the most out of your sheets, it is crucial for you to take care of them properly. You have probably invested a lot of money in your sheets, and you may have even purchased sustainable sheets. Therefore, if you want your sheets to last as long as possible, it is vital for you to learn how to wash, dry, and store them. What do you need to know about taking care of your sheets? Take a look at several important points below.
Guidelines For Taking Care of Your Sheets
When you are taking care of your sheets, several steps to follow include:
- Wash Them Separately: First, you should make sure to wash your sheets separately from your other laundry. This includes towels and other clothing. You want your sheets to have plenty of space to circulate in the water. This ensures they get as clean as possible. Furthermore, if you wash your sheets with items such as zippers, snaps, buttons, and fasteners, they may get torn by these items.
- Pre-Treat Your Stains: If you have stains on your sheets, you need to pre-treat them before putting your sheets in the wash. Furthermore, it would help to avoid using bleach on your sheets because this can damage the fabric. If you need to brighten up your sheets, consider using lemon juice instead of bleach. Remember that if you have linen or silk sheets, they may require a specific type of detergent.
- The Agitator: If your washing machine has an agitator in the center, you should try to ball each sheet loosely before putting it in the washing machine. That way, your sheets are not going to get damaged by the agitator.
- Water Temperature: When you put your sheets in the wash, do not use hot water. Use either a cool temperature or a warm temperature.
- Drying Your Sheets: If you can, try to dry your sheets outside on the clothesline. Do not place them in the direct sun. If you must put them in the dryer, try to use a relatively cool temperature to prevent them from being damaged.
If you keep these tips in mind, you should end up with sheets that feel nice and soft for years.
How Often To Wash Your Sheets
The washing schedule for your sheets depends on where you live. If you live in a hot, humid climate, you may need to wash your sheets more often. It is not unusual for people who live in warm areas to wash their sheets once per week. If you live in a relatively cool, dry area, you might be able to go a few weeks without washing your sheets. It depends on your body oils, how much you sweat, and how much dirt you have on you. Of course, the dirtier you think you are, the more often you need to wash your sheets.
If you want to reduce the frequency with which you wash your sheets, you may want to take a bath or shower before bed. That way, you can keep your sheets as clean as possible, allowing you to go longer without washing them.
Pay Attention to the Tag
Finally, even though these are general guidelines, you need to pay special attention to the tag on the sheets. Sometimes, you may have sheets that have been made with a special type of fabric. Therefore, you may have to do something special when washing them. For example, self is a relatively strong fiber, but you need to wash it using a unique method to keep the fibers intact. Some people even have special fabric that requires hand washing.
As a result, if you are purchasing new sheets, take a close look at the tag. You need to make sure that you are ready to take care of it accordingly. If you have questions about how you will take care of a particular set of sheets, you may want to reach out to a professional who can help you.
Take Care of Your Sheets Properly
These are just a few of the most important points you should keep in mind if you take care of your sheets. Even though you want your sheets to last as long as possible, you need to make sure you take care of them accordingly. As long as you take care of your sheets, they should take care of you when it is time to go to bed.