How can you make the most of your vacation in a big city? By also exploring the surrounding areas! The best way to do this is to enjoy a weekend getaway, allowing you to enjoy all the city has to offer while still taking in more than the city itself.
And Boston is a city that is perfect for weekend getaways. Ideally located to access some of the most beautiful areas of the North East, the hardest part of planning your long weekend out of the city will be choosing where to go. Below are our favorite weekend getaways near Boston for both travelers and locals alike.
If you watch television or movies, you have heard of Martha’s Vineyard. Often associated with the rich and famous, it has long been a favorite getaway for North Easterners from all walks of life. What exactly makes Martha’s Vineyard so special? First of all, it is a stunning island that is worth the trip for its natural beauty alone. Then there is the architecture, unique to the area and perfect for setting the mood. Finally, from the moment you step off the ferry, there are plenty of things to do.
- Explore the shops at Vineyard Haven.
- Grab a bite to eat at Oak Bluffs and enjoy the gingerbread houses and boardwalk atmosphere.
- Take a walking tour of Edgartown and marvel at the whaling captains’ homes.
- Set up on your own little patch of beach and breathe in the ocean air.
- Go on a tour of one of the lighthouses on the island.
The 6th largest city in Massachusetts, and it offers something for everyone. If you love the arts, there is a vibrant artisan community, if you have children, there are parks and interactive museums, and if you love to eat, there is one of the best seafood scenes in the entire country. While it could easily be a day trip due to the distance, the sheer amount of activities means you really should make a long weekend out of this trip.
- Visit the New Bedford Museum of Glass for one of the most unique museum experiences in the country.
- Tour the Nathan and Polly Johnson House and learn about how the Underground Railroad operated within the North East.
- Go to Travessia Winery to learn more about urban winemaking and sample some of their tasty offerings.
- Dine at Cork Wine and Tapas make sure to order the truffle fries!!!
While this city has plenty to offer, its biggest attraction is the food. This city is a foodie paradise, with so many high-quality and innovative restaurants, you will have a hard time making a decision. From hipster bard to international fusion to more seafood options than you can wrap your head around, Providence has it all. If you’re there on the weekend, check out Providence Flea for great art, crafts & vintage finds.
- Watermelon Grille
- Siena Restaurant
- Café Nuovo
- Pretty much any food truck you come across
Ready to make the most of your time in Boston? Start planning your incredible weekend getaway.