What better way to start the New Year off than with a wonderful family favorite..Chicken Pot Pie. This recipe comes to you via Southern Living (as I’m a Southern Living Source Member). The difference here is that you have CHOICES. You can go with a traditional pie crust (and even cut your prep time down by using the refrigerated pie dough found in the grocery store), or ramp it up a bit and top it with some bacon and cheddar cheese biscuits. Either way…it’s yummy
CHICKEN PIE FILLING
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 (8-oz.) package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 cups frozen cubed hash browns
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 1 cup frozen small sweet peas
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- PASTRY CRUST
- 1 (14.1-oz.) package refrigerated piecrusts
- 1 egg white
Here’s the 411
1. Prepare the Filling: Preheat oven to 350°. Melt 1/3 cup butter in a large saucepan over medium heat; add all-purpose flour, and cook, whisking constantly for 1 minute. Gradually add chicken broth & milk, and cook, again – whisking constantly for 6 – 7 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat, and stir in Creole seasoning.
2. Melt 2 Tbsp. butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add onion and mushrooms, and sauté for 10 minutes or until they’re tender. Stir in the chicken, next 4 ingredients, and the sauce.
3. Prepare Crust: Place 1 piecrust in a lightly greased 10-inch cast-iron skillet. Spoon the chicken mixture over the piecrust, and then top with the second piecrust.
4. Whisk egg white until foamy; brush top of piecrust with egg white. Cut 4 to 5 slits in top of pie for steam to escape.
5. Bake at 350° for 1 hour to 1 hour and 5 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.
Or for a different take you can…
Chicken Pot Pie with Bacon-and-Cheddar Biscuits:
- Omit piecrusts and egg white.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Prepare Chicken Pie Filling as directed through Step 2.
- Spoon filling into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- Cut 1/2 cup cold butter into 1/2-inch cubes.
- Cut butter cubes into 2 cups self-rising flour with a pastry blender or fork until crumbly and mixture resembles small peas.
- Add 3/4 cup (3 oz.) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup finely chopped cooked bacon, 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives, and 1 cup whipping cream, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead lightly 3 or 4 times.
- Roll or pat dough to 3/4-inch thickness; cut with a 2 1/2-inch round cutter to form 15 biscuits.
- Bake Chicken Pie Filling at 425° for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and arrange biscuits on top of hot chicken mixture.
- Bake 25 to 30 more minutes or until biscuits are golden brown and chicken mixture is bubbly.
- Remove from the oven, and brush biscuits with 2 Tbsp. melted butter.
Prep: 50 minutes
Total time: 1 1/2 hour