This post has been sponsored by Kay Jewelers. The wish list is my own…because Mr S needs a hint.
I was one of those defiant kids who called her mom by her first name. The funny thing is that she never corrected me. She passed away much too young (at 55), but she taught me all that I needed to know.
- There were times that we were more like sisters than mother/daughter.
- We used to go hat shopping downtown and laugh, and she’d worry we were going to get thrown out
- She had a difficult time punishing me, and I’d RUN and she’d chase me til we fell down giggling
- When I refused to drink milk, she’d give me ice cream (hey – dairy is dairy)
Most of all
She taught me how important it was to be kind, not only to others…but to yourself. She instilled in me the knowledge that I could do anything I wanted in this world (she’d tell me that I could make/be/do by just reading the directions). I was lucky to have her in my life and I hope that I’ve grown to be a strong, confident, and FUN woman like her.
Passing it along
It’s funny, but now that my son is getting married I have a tendency to look back and have realized that I am SO MUCH like my mom. My son calls me “Zippy” – an homage to my mom, and I’ve always relished the fun and laughter that we have. I may not be as easy going about certain things as she was, but I did try to pass down the importance of self-confidence, worth, and ingenuity that I learned from Norma.
I can no longer give her the Mother’s Day gift that she deserves, but I’d love one of those classic diamond pieces that I hinted for from Kay.com to remind me of her every time I look at my finger, touch my ear, or look in the mirror at the jewelry that sparkles for me, just as she did. A beautiful piece of jewelry that you wear every day is a constant reminder of the love, laughter, and memories every morning that you put it on, when you take it off at night, and when you see the light reflected, you know that they are there with you as you are with them.
My wish list (shown above) includes 4 beautifully classic pieces (because Norma was a classic)
- 1/4 ct diamond hoop earrings in Sterling Silver
- Colors in Rhythm white sapphire necklace
- Stackable diamond anniversary ring
- Lab created white sapphire ring