Please note that the links within this post are a result of my partnership with Perdue Farms. I also get a small commission when you purchase through these links.
I have never been a homebody
I suppose that’s why I became a travel and lifestyle blogger, and why early in my life I was an actress and dancer (there’s a lot of touring when you’re not top tier). Even on days when I was home, I wasn’t. I grocery shopped daily just to get out of the house, went out to walk the beach, went out with friends, drove to see the kids (2 hours away), etc. Staying in is not in my comfort zone.
I’ve learned a lot about myself from sheltering in place
I actually found that I like being home more than I had thought.
- I’ve started growing tomatoes and peppers
- My house is actually somewhat clean/straightened
- I have gotten more reading done
- I am taking Pilates, Barre & dance classes in my living room
- J’apprends à parler français- I am learning to speak French
- I’ve been baking…a LOT
- I’ve been swimming in my pool, something I usually don’t do til mid-summer
- I can shop til I drop because I’m at home and that store doesn’t close at 2 am when my eyes pop open
- I don’t have to go grocery shopping daily, as a matter of fact…I don’t have to go AT ALL
- I realized that getting quality protein sent to me from Perdue Farms beats that sale chicken, beef and pork hands down
Of course, there has been a downside
- Mr. S has been just watching TV all day. Did you know that you can watch golf matches from 5 years ago?
- That baking I’ve been doing has added a considerable amount of weight to my body
- I bought a new TV, a living room chair and new clothes – shopping from home makes spending WAY too easy
- I have been sleeping less, I don’t know if it’s stress or just my usual insomnia, but it feels worse
Once this is over I’ll still be
FEEDING MY MIND: I’m taking a lot of what I’ve learned through this time at home and making it a permanent part of my life. I realized that I really do enjoy taking time for myself to garden or curl up with a good book. I did those things before, but they weren’t daily habits that made me feel like I was truly invested in them.
FEEDING MY BODY: I had been putting off exercising on a regular basis because I never found anything that I really LOVED doing. But, with all of the fitness and dance options online that are available, I can do the type of workouts that I really love without being judged and without great expense, like Barre, Pilates or a dance class.
I also realized that I don’t like grocery shopping. I spend WAY too much time each day and when I get home, it’s never really what I want. I’ll be continuing to order better products than my local grocery carries, only sent directly to my door. The price may be slightly higher, but the convenience and time that I save each day driving to/from the grocery, putting things away and the fact that I tend to buy things that I really don’t need was costing me a LOT more than placing an order for my favorite steaks and chicken from Perdue Farms. I deserve QUALITY! My body deserves QUALITY!
FEEDING MY HOME: I had pretty much ignored my house. I have been spending time sprucing up and the garden has just been a plus. Maybe I traveled so much because I hadn’t really found my space, but now that I’ve put more time and effort into sprucing up, gardening and cooking, it feels a lot better being here. Oh, I’ll still travel – it’s in my blood but I’ll appreciate my time at home just as much.
I think that I may have found balance
If you want to pare down things that don’t give you joy, or take so much time out of your life that you have little left for yourself, look at what you are doing and how you are living as you shelter at home and see if there are things that you can add/subtract from life as usual. And, if you’d like to order Perdue Farms at home like I do, you’ll get 15% off with this link. https://perduefarms.com/champagneliving – Enjoy the time you just got back in your life by ordering online.