February is my birthday month and it’s NO secret that it’s the last time I’ll see a “5” as the first number, so I’m celebrating like there’s NO tomorrow. I’m going a little NON-TRADITIONAL and instead of that old yellow layer cake with chocolate frosting that I always seem to get, I’m going to be enjoying a slice of Irish Cream Cake!
NO – there’s NO DIETING on my birthday. So, please join me in celebrating!
The Irish cream liqueur in this cake makes the recipe extra-special. Butterscotch filling and a cream cheese frosting make it divine.
Irish Cream Cake
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups DOMINO Granulated Sugar
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup Irish cream liqueur
- Butterscotch Filling (see below)
- Cream Cheese Frosting (see below)
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 14 pecan halves, toasted
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Beat butter and shortening at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy; gradually add granulated sugar, beating well.Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Add vanilla extract, beating until blended.
3. Combine flour and soda; add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed until blended after each addition.
4. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
5. Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 9-inch round cakepans.
6. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
7. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
8. Brush cake layers evenly with liqueur.
9. Spread half of Butterscotch Filling between each cake layer; spread Cream Cheese Frosting on top and sides of cake.
10. Gently press chopped pecans onto sides of cake; arrange pecan halves on top.
- 1/2 cup firmly packed DOMINO Brown Sugar 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup milk, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Stir together brown sugar and butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, until sugar melts and mixture is blended. Stir in 1/2 cup milk until blended.
2. Whisk together remaining milk, flour, and salt; stir into brown sugar mixture, and cook, whisking constantly, over medium heat 5 minutes or until thickened.
3. Gradually add eggs, and cook, whisking constantly, 2 minutes.
4. Remove from heat, and let cool.
5. Stir in pecans and vanilla.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 (8-ounce) package PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract 1 (16-ounce) package DOMINO 10-X Confectioners Sugar, unsifted
1. Beat first 3 ingredients with an electric mixer until creamy.
2. Add confectioners sugar, beating at low speed until blended.
3. Beat at high speed until smooth.
Grab a glass of champagne and enjoy!
Recipe courtesy of Southern Living Magazine, as a member of the Southern Living The Porch.
Tamara B. says
Zippy I wish you the best birthday ever and may it be filled with many wonderful blessings <3
Cathy B*****y says
have a blessed Birthday Zippy! The cake looks yummy!
Cathy B*****y pbprojecthope at yahoo dotcom
I find it hard to believe but I’m ready to celebrate with you!
Robyn Wright of Robyn's Online World says
That cake looks yummy! And trust me, you do not look anywhere near your age. I hope you had a fabulous birthday!!!!
I may be old, but I still know how to have a good time 😉
YAY – let’s celebrate. Come on down to Florida where it’s in the low 40’s tonight
Thank you SO much Cathy.