February is my birthday month and it’s NO secret that it’s the last time I’ll see a “5” as the first number, so I’m celebrating like there’s NO tomorrow. I’m going a little NON-TRADITIONAL and instead of that old yellow layer cake with chocolate frosting that I always seem to get, I’m going to be enjoying a slice of Irish Cream Cake!
NO – there’s NO DIETING on my birthday. So, please join me in celebrating!
The Irish cream liqueur in this cake makes the recipe extra-special. Butterscotch filling and a cream cheese frosting make it divine.
Irish Cream Cake
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups DOMINO Granulated Sugar
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup Irish cream liqueur
- Butterscotch Filling (see below)
- Cream Cheese Frosting (see below)
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 14 pecan halves, toasted
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Beat butter and shortening at medium speed with an electric mixer until fluffy; gradually add granulated sugar, beating well.Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition. Add vanilla extract, beating until blended.
3. Combine flour and soda; add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed until blended after each addition.
4. Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
5. Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 9-inch round cakepans.
6. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
7. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
8. Brush cake layers evenly with liqueur.
9. Spread half of Butterscotch Filling between each cake layer; spread Cream Cheese Frosting on top and sides of cake.
10. Gently press chopped pecans onto sides of cake; arrange pecan halves on top.
- 1/2 cup firmly packed DOMINO Brown Sugar 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup milk, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Stir together brown sugar and butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, until sugar melts and mixture is blended. Stir in 1/2 cup milk until blended.
2. Whisk together remaining milk, flour, and salt; stir into brown sugar mixture, and cook, whisking constantly, over medium heat 5 minutes or until thickened.
3. Gradually add eggs, and cook, whisking constantly, 2 minutes.
4. Remove from heat, and let cool.
5. Stir in pecans and vanilla.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 (8-ounce) package PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract 1 (16-ounce) package DOMINO 10-X Confectioners Sugar, unsifted
1. Beat first 3 ingredients with an electric mixer until creamy.
2. Add confectioners sugar, beating at low speed until blended.
3. Beat at high speed until smooth.
Grab a glass of champagne and enjoy!
Recipe courtesy of Southern Living Magazine, as a member of the Southern Living The Porch.