Most of us have been raised to think that “me time” is something extra. When you can get it, good, but if there are other things to take care of, put it on the backburner. However, many people, including psychologists and researchers, have found that “me time” is incredibly important to your emotional and physical wellbeing—and even your performance at your job. Let’s take a look at how “me time” breaks make you happier, healthier, and more productive.
How it Makes You Happier
- Time alone is time to think and time to process. When something is bothering you and you keep pushing it away so you can focus on other items, what you end up doing is increasing your stress.
- You can use your time for yourself to indulge a bit. For small breaks throughout the day, this won’t mean a trip to the spa. However, there are small treats you can give yourself, such as three minutes for mindfulness or playing a special song.
- When alone, with your attention dedicated only to yourself, you can really control your thoughts. During this time, you can choose to focus on positive aspects of your life, and things you are thankful for. This positive thinking will carry over into other tasks and your life in general.
How it Makes You Healthier
- Time alone, without a set task in front of you, allows the brain to reboot. Clearing the mind for a few minutes before starting back to work or other tasks helps to break away from any strain you were under.
- With quality “me time” of at least 15 minutes, you can truly unwind. While this does help with mental health, it also helps improve your physical health. My unwinding and letting stress go, you release tension throughout your body.
- You can take this time to really focus on your physical self. This is an ideal time for things like skin treatments, long baths, and other things that will make you feel good mentally and physically.
How it Makes You More Productive
- Sometimes when you cannot concentrate, it is just because you have reached a limit. Walking away and taking time for yourself, even for just a few minutes, allows you to renew your concentration skills.
- After taking time for yourself, you will find you have more energy. This energy can then be applied to any task at hand, allowing you to work through it faster.
- In many cases, the factor that is most damaging to your productivity is feeling you have a lack of creativity. With time to yourself, you will find that your creative spirit grows, allowing you to take new approaches to tasks, which then translates into increased productivity.