Abbott partnered with influencers such as me for its Ensure Program. As part of this Program, I received compensation for my time—although thoughts and opinions are my own.
Looking back at the past 8 years as a blogger, I’ve discovered a lot about myself. As I’ve progressed from the 50’s into the 60’s my body has changed, but through it all I am/was determined that these later years would be a celebratory time, a new chapter rather than a final one. I want to really live life to the fullest, and inspire others to do the same.
That all sounds WONDERFUL, but there were roadblocks – the natural aging process and my lack of taking steps to keep my body at its peak. It took turning 62, and a push from some of my blogger and PR friends to get it together. My mind was still 21, but my body needed a push.
Then something HORRIBLE happened, my husband was rushed to the hospital with heart failure. There was no sidestepping this getting healthy thing anymore.
Here are a few off MY key learnings to lessen the age gap between my body and mind. Remember, just because your getting older, you still want to be the person you’ve always been…active, vibrant, and fun.
- That doesn’t mean KILL yourself by overdoing it and spending the next week in pain. My attempt at aerial yoga taught me that my muscles were no longer as strong as they used to be. Now you’ll find me doing aqua-aerobics & water weight training in my pool every day. As we age, maintaining muscle health is important, plus you’ll bounce back after illness, injury, and surgery so you can get back to your daily activities quicker.
- STAY ACTIVE. Wait, isn’t MOVING staying active? Yes, but don’t forget to spend time with friends and loved ones too. Take a walk with your spouse/significant other and chat about your new goals, take up golf or a sport that will bring you closer AND keep you fit, we’re in the process of choosing bicycles to ride together. Staying active together with a friend or loved one keeps you closer and gives you something fun to look forward to.
- Ensure Enlive. I get 20 grams of protein, 26 vitamins & minerals and fiber…not only is it my afternoon treat, but the protein helps me maintain my muscles with good nutrition. Ensure Enlive is a new, advanced nutrition drink that helps adults like me, who are 50+ get the key nutrients their body needs to help maintain muscle mass so we can always feel like ourselves.
- KEEP YOUR MIND YOUNG. Remember that saying “You’re not getting older; you’re getting better?” It’s true! I love to challenge myself whether it be figuring out a crossword puzzle, reading a great book, or sitting down at the computer to write a blog post (like this one). Keep your mind ACTIVE and you’ll feel young.
So, what are YOU doing to make sure that your years over the age of 40 are the best ones of your life?
- Learn more about muscle loss as we age.
- Visit the Ensure website to learn why nutrition matters with age.
- Learn about the added nutrition you get from Ensure Enlive.
Abbott partnered with influencers such as me for its Ensure Program. As part of this Program, I received compensation for my time. The opinions and thoughts in this piece are my own. Abbott/Ensure believes that consumers and influencers are free to form their own opinions and share them in their own words. Abbott/Ensure policies align with WOMMA Ethics Code, Federal Trade Commission (FTC) guidelines and social media engagement recommendations.