While the posts that grace Champagne Living about my wonderful travels may read like it’s all glitz and glam, the truth is that about three hours before I’m ready to head out to the airport I’m a hot mess. Why? Because I’m one of those who THINKS she’s got it together enough to wait until then to pack.
Then reality sets in – the clothes in the dryer that I was planning to take are still damp, I haven’t even given a thought to the climate – so, some of the clothes may be packed away, those 3 oz bottles that should make it through TSA are EMPTY from the last trip I took, etc. The crazy part is that none of this ever bothers me, as I figure that I can always pick up more deodorant, the toothbrush, jewelry & clothes (an excuse to shop) wherever I might be. It also means that I’m wasting some precious Champagne Living time running around.
With each trip that I take, I get a little bit smarter. I now keep my dopp kit and suitcase packed with these
12 20 items to make certain that I’m not cursing myself for leaving them behind.
1. Phone charger – After forgetting mine at home at LEAST a half dozen times, I went out & bought an extra and just keep it packed.
2. Band-aids, tylenol, antacid and imodium – When it hits or bleeds, you don’t want to be searching a strange city looking for a drugstore at 1:00 am.
3. Umbrella – If you don’t you KNOW it will rain!
4. Roll up shoes – Those little ballet flats that you know you’ll need to wear on your walk back to the hotel, over the cobblestone streets after a great bottle of wine (or two). Can you tell I’ve been there?
5. Razor, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, contact solution – Because I always forget one of them. Don’t worry if you forget the shaving cream, just use the hotels hair conditioner – it’s even BETTER!
6. Extra sunglasses/reading glasses – If you don’t lose them, someone traveling with you will ask if they can borrow yours – it never fails. I grab cheap reading glasses from the dollar store.
7. Emtpy tote bag or duffle – I always end up shopping and love to have an extra piece of luggage with me for the return flight. Just pack a lightweight duffle and use it as an extra carry-on for the way home.
8. Bounce Lint Roller – It never fails that I’ll have a black dress packed and it will be covered with dog hair, so I bring a small TRAVEL SIZE with me.
9. Downy Wrinkle Release spray – No matter how I pack (roll, fold, use little boards) my clothes get wrinkled. Personally I hate lugging the ironing board and iron out of the closet and wasting precious time ironing. So, I give a quick spray , tug and smooth and get dressed….take THAT wrinkles! BONUS – it comes in a 3 oz size, which meets carry-on requirements.
10. Dryel on the Go pen – This instant stain remover is great on both washable and DRY CLEAN ONLY clothes (including hand washables like wool, silk, and more) which is why I choose Dryel over some of the other. So, that coffee I spilled on my cashmere sweater is gone without ruining the fabric.
11. Tide Travel Laundry Bag – I LOVE THIS! Somehow Tide made an odor absorbing bag of a breathable fabric that inhibits bacteria growth. That means that I can stuff Mr. S’s dirty socks in there and not have my suitcase smell in the hotel room or my suitcase.
12. A sense of humor – Because I’ve found that you really need one when you travel.
As I said…I ALWAYS forget something, so what did I FORGET to include on this list that YOU always bring along…JUST IN CASE?
I received product to facilitate this post. All opinions are my own.
Susan (5 Minutes for Mom) says
Great list… I’ve forgotten a few of those in the past.
Crystal @ Simply Being Mommy says
Yep, I usually forget most of those items too.
I always ALWAYS forget my camera, or camera charger…I don’t have a smart phone so this is a BIG faux pas for a blogger! Great list, though, one to definitely refer to before my next big blogger conference!
Jessica @FoundtheMarbles says
I love to have a comfy sweatshirt with me when I travel, but half the time I forget to pack one. Now I try to make sure it’s always on the list of items in my suitcase.
I usually forget to pack extra contact lenses! Now I keep a list in my luggage. I created by “packing” from head to toe. I think #12 is the most useful!
contact lens solution and advil…
Kathy K (@Unkatchable73) says
Well considering I just came back from a nice Hawaiian vacation on Tuesday.. I thought I was doing really well with my packing. I was confident I didn’t forget a thing, until of course we got to the hotel and I went to take a shower and realized I had my razor, but not the blades!
I’m good on everything except antacid and Immodium. Thanks for the reminders.
When I used to travel all the time I kept all of my toiletries and an extra set of makeup in my bag. That way I didn’t have to unpack and repack every week.
Marcie W. says
What a totally true list! I have been missing more than one of these items on different occasions. I’ve never heard of the Tide Laundry Bag, but I certainly want one in place of my usual dirty clothes trash bag for our next trip!
Elizabeth Norton (@edvacation) says
Ohhhh so true! I never hear of the tide bag-will have to check that out with all the traveling we do with my little men now!
I always forget phone charger and tooth brush. I bought extra phone charger and just leave in bag and thank goodness for hotel conceirge services for the toothbrush.
I never remember an umbrella, and have forgotten toothpaste and/or toothbrush more times than I care to admit. 🙂
Jenn @therebelchick says
I take all of the same things – even the Dryel and Tide products! I got the travel kit last year and my husband stole it, so now I need to pick up another one!
Ughhh I hate that I always forget at least one of these lol Razor, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, contact solution.
Amy B. says
The clothes I’m trying to finish off in the dryer are usually what I forget!
Lee Reyes-Fournier says
Brilliant! I have my toiletry bag always packed in case of emergency. (I would add Q-tips).
I always travel with trial size Johnson’s baby powder because running to make connecting flights and hauling luggage through airports can make one sweaty.
Downy Wrinkle Releaser is one of my favorite travel products too!
Terrific idea to purchase a second cell-phone charger. I love the Tide laundry bag idea too, I didn’t know they made that.
Becca Bernstein says
I so need an empty bag on my work trips. That way, I can squeeze in the gifts that I get for my kids. Great list!
Sugar Jones says
I’m a last-minute-hot-mess-packer, too. I always figure one of my friends that planned better might have something I need. Unfortunately, that gets me into trouble. Like the time I forgot my pop-em-up strapless bra and ended up taping my boobs. I had tape but no bra. Or when I brought pants that were hemmed for flats but forgot the flats. Can you say “high water”?
I’m so glad I have an ample supply of #12 on your list. LOL!
I think some people forget to pack an ‘open mind’ when they travel. Instead of sticking to the itinerary, go off the beaten path once in a while. Speak with the locals, ask them to take your picture! Traveling is about having a sense of adventure. What’s the point if you won’t up to the possibilities?
Thanks for the reminder Amandah. That’s what makes travel so SPECIAL, the opportunity to meet new people.
I have that Isaac Mizrahi pink suitcase in the top picture~~ soooo off-topic 🙂