Last week I told you about my fabulous Rhine tour with AmaWaterways, including how they offer bicycles at each of the ports for those who want a more active vacation. HOORAY they are expanding their line-up of biking and hiking tours for travelers in 2016! For those like me, who made resolutions to become healthier, you can now pair an exciting vacation in Europe with a healthy lifestyle.
“Over the past two seasons, we have seen steadily increasing demand from our passengers for more active excursions,” said Kristin Karst, AmaWaterways’ executive vice president and co-owner. “While we have always maintained a commitment to healthy and active travel, we decided to start the New Year by kicking it up a notch, introducing new biking and hiking tours that specifically appeal to those seeking an even more active, adventurous experience.”
One of the things that has set AmaWaterways apart from the rest was that they were the first to carry a fleet of complimentary bicycles onboard its European ships. They will continue to be available to guests for individual or escorted bike tours through their partnership with Backroads.
AmaWaterways’ 2016 new escorted bike tours will combine fitness with leisure, with itineraries including:
- A tour of the historic waterfront town of Willemstad
- Cycling along the river Sava and through Kalemegdan Park in Belgrade
- A ride through Antwerp visiting a fortress, museums and hidden quarters
- Tours of the Wachau Valley along the Danube
- A ride through the historic town of Bamberg (a UNESCO World Heritage Site), seeing its famous breweries and market gardens
- A picturesque tour through wooded hills and beaches of poplars along the scenic shores of the Inn River in Passau
PLUS – 12 port cities will be home to AmaWaterways’ new hiking tours.
This includes two wine tasting options during the Fortress Hike in Durnstein as well as:
- Fourviere Hill in Lyon
- Passau Castle Hike in Passau
- Mount Pipet in Vienne
- Chateau Gaillard in Les Andelys
- Dom Luis Bridge, Old Harbor Quarter, Cathedral in Porto
“We are thrilled to offer such a dynamic line-up of biking and hiking excursions, which will hopefully help travelers like myself, who have set health or fitness-focused New Year’s resolutions, keep them in the year ahead,” said Karst.
AmaWaterways’ guided biking and hiking tours are included in the cruise fare in addition to standard tours that are often offered at a variety of paces, including gentle, regular and active. Guests can also participate in Limited Edition Tours, which give smaller groups unique opportunities to experience local culture.
- Visit www.AmaWaterways.com
- Call (800) 626-0126
- Follow AmaWaterways on Facebook
- Twitter @AmaWaterways
- Or call your travel agent