Have you heard of the nonprofit organization Pencils of Promise, whose mission is to build schools in the developing world? While this time of year can be crazy for many of us with buying gifts and families, it’s wonderful that so many celebs are gathering to help launch the MADE WITH PENCILS campaign.
With celebrities, artists, athletes, designers like
· Be by Lea Michele: Lea created words that come straight from the heart about being independent and being true to yourself
· Helping Hand by Shaquille O’Neal: a life-size doodle of Shaq’s hand, signed and created by the legend himself
· Lyrics by Lil Jon: Much of Lil Jon’s life story can be heard through these words, as they express the importance of overcoming struggle and becoming a better, stronger person
· Owl by Jonathan Adler: renowned furniture, home accessories and interior designer, Jonathan created a symbol of knowledge and wisdom, made entirely of pencil shavings
· Faithful by artist Joe Fenton: Jaw-dropping interpretation of the pursuit of knowledge and driving ambition – drawn entirely with pencils creating artwork with just with a simple no. 2 pencil. These amazing creations will be auctioned off at http://www.pencilsofpromise.
Soon to come, work by
- Mariah Carey
- Chelsea Clinton
- Katie Couric
- Olivia Wilde
- Russell Simmons
- Hugh Jackman
- and many others
“I started by giving one child just one pencil years ago, and now we’re going to demonstrate that full schools can be built with nothing more than graphite and wood,” said Adam Braun, founder of Pencils of Promise. “Made with Pencils is a movement of the world’s greatest artists and influencers – each leveraging their unique genius and connection to where their education began to now build schools for children without access to that very same education.”
To get involved in this wonderful initiative or to learn more please visit pencils of promise
You can follow PoP on Twitter @pencilsofpromis
Pencils on Facebook at pencilsofpromise.