I want an entourage. I could be the female version of Vincent Chase with absolutely NO PROBLEM, as long as I had my own Johnny Drama and Turtle to have fun with, and an Eric keeping me grounded. I actually attempted it last week when I hit Los Angeles with a vengeance along with my bestie (and “sorta-sister”) Sandy A.
The first thing we did was to check in to the oh-so-fab Mondrian Hotel (where Vincent and his crew moved in after he sold his house…that is until Anthony Michael Hall peed off of the balcony and they were tossed out). While I’d been to the Mondrian in South Beach for events, I have to say this was the FIRST time that I found myself staying in one of those movie-star glamorous rooms that remind me of Jean Harlow meets minimalism. With a sweeping view of the Hollywood Hills (we were offered that or a view of the city), the feminine rooms bathed in white became our backdrop for an exciting three days in the City of Angels.
Frankly I could have stayed at this hip hotel and never even ventured off of the property. Why go anywhere else when you have Asia de Cuba to dine at, a pool boy that you’ll find yourself ogling, and the fabulous SkyBar to party at all night (hotel guests get in at Skybar automatically)? Is there REALLY anything ELSE to do in L.A. that’s as worthwhile as this?
For those visiting for the first time, there are some things you need to know.
- The hallways are VERY dark. Almost like an alley-way in the city. I realized after the 2nd night that a mugger can’t afford to stay here, so it wasn’t an issue.
- The TV set is hidden in that mirror you see in the picture. There are NO instructions, and I figured it out when I noticed the DVD player tucked into a shelf.
- The hotel may be über hip, but the staff is über warm and friendly, and we felt like we were part of the family during our entire stay.
- Asia de Cuba is a MUST DINE experience. Of course, I love the ADC in SoBe as well, and I don’t think that I’ve EVER had a meal that was disappointing or even just okay. It’s ALWAYS exceptional.
- It’s an OASIS in the city, and although it’s artsy and cool – it’s still comfortable. A hotel is only as good as it’s staff, and whomever did the hiring here did an AMAZING job. From the valet, to the front desk, the pool boy you want to kidnap and take home with you, to the manager and waitstaff at Asia de Cuba, this staff knows how to make your stay the BEST it can be, and will keep you coming back just to see them.
Shhhh….don’t tell Sandy that I caught her relaxing in bed…she claimed it was the MOST comfortable bed that she’d ever slept in.
Later I’ll tell you some of the touristy and very unlikely things (at least for me) that we did in Los Angeles.
For more information or to make a reservation
- 8440 Sunset Blvd
- West Hollywood, CA, 90069
- 800/697-1791 or 323/650-8999
I stayed at the Mondrian as a guest of Pantene/P&G brands, all opinions are strictly my own.