This girl knows the BEST restaurants, which places do takeout extraordinaire, and married a man who owned restaurants. What was Udi’s Gluten Free Bread thinking when they challenged me?
- Have they SEEN me in the kitchen?
- Have they heard the smoke detector go off?
- Don’t they know that I toss pans weekly, because they can’t be salvaged after I warp them?
- Have they seen my son’s facebook updates with his amazing dinners? He learned to cook because HE HAD NO OTHER CHOICE if he wanted a decent meal.
- This is getting to be VERY difficult for me. Yesterday I reviewed the Aeternum Pan (and no I didn’t ruin it), and today THIS.
Hold on a minute. I just went back and read my challenge. I’m to create a…
GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH on Udi’s Bread
I can do that. It’s cheese and bread. If Johnny Depp can make grilled cheese with an iron in Benny & Joon, I can certainly do it with a new pan, a freezer full of Udi’s breads, and cheese.
Pumped & ready to grill…I decided not only to do ONE grilled cheese sandwich, but THREE of them.
Caprese Salad Grilled Cheese
- 2 slices of Udi’s White Bread
- LOTS of fresh mozzerella
- 2 slices of beefsteak tomatoes
- Basil fresh from my herb garden
- Butter (yes I use REAL butter)
You know the grilled cheese drill. Put it all together between the 2 slices and try not to burn it (that’s a note to MYSELF…not you). One thing that I noticed was that Udi’s breads make EXCEPTIONAL grilled cheese. For some reason it gets NICE and crispy, and that’s how I LOVE my grilled cheese.
Bleu Cheese and Apple Grilled Cheese
- 2 slices of Udi’s Whole Grain bread
- Bleu Cheese
- Sliced Apple
Getting hungry yet? I just took a handful of the bleu cheese. You’ll want to use Udi’s whole grain or Millet Chia bread for a nice nutty flavor with the sharp cheese. Just like on my cheese board, I added slices of apple (although next time I’d make the slices thicker than in the picture).
For breakfast or a different dessert….
Ricotta/Vanilla Stuffed Grilled Cheese à la Francaise
- 1 egg
- 2 slices of Udi’s Cinnamon Raisin Bread
- 1/4 cup Ricotta Cheese
- 1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- Maple Syrup – optional
1. Make French toast – dip the Udi’s Cinnamon Raisin Bread in egg and grill
2. In a bowl mix 1/4 c. Ricotta Cheese with 1/2 tsp. of Vanilla Extract
3. Put the Ricotta cheese mixture on a slice of the French toast and cover with the second slice
4. Make that GRILLED CHEESE!
5. Dip into maple syrup – optional
NOTE: I made it without using French Toast as well and it was JUST as delicious.
I have to say that I’m now a HUGE fan of Udi’s (although I’ve always been a closet Udi’s Snickerdoodle addict). They sent me lots, and lots (and lots) of bread to create a sandwich with. I guess they had heard about my reputation as a not-so-domestic goddess, and decided that I might get ONE good sandwich out of a freezer full of bread.
They were wrong…I got THREE out of them.