One of the things that I am doing more in 2018 (that I did sporatically in 2017) is to start my day off with a smoothie. The reason? I can both have a great balanced breakfast that’s good for me (and Mr. S) and at the same time I feel as though I’m starting the day with a real treat. Since one of Mr. S’ favorite desserts is carrot cake (and the cream cheese frosting that tops it), I knew that this would be a big hit in our house. This healthy and delicious smoothie tastes more like a decadent dessert than a nutritious way to start the day. The natural sweetness of the orange and carrots are balanced by a trio of complementary spices, while a spoonful of homemade coconut whipped cream serves as the perfect finishing touch (making him feel like he’s still got some of that frosting).
I actually prefer mine without the topping, which cuts out a lot of those extra calories.
Carrot Cake Smoothie with Coconut Whipped Cream for 2
Coconut Whipped Cream Ingredients
- 1 13.5-oz. can coconut milk, chilled
- 1-2 T. maple syrup (optional)
- 1 t. orange zest (optional)
- 1 c. coconut milk
- 1 large banana, cut into chunks and frozen
- 2 large stalks celery, roughly chopped
- 1 large orange, peeled
- 4 large carrots, roughly chopped
- ¾ t. cinnamon
- ¾ t. ground allspice
- ½ t. ground nutmeg
- 4-6 ice cubes
Ground cinnamon and finely chopped walnuts
- Chill coconut milk in refrigerator for several hours or overnight. To prepare, remove can from refrigerator without shaking or turning and remove lid. Scoop out the solidified “cream” from the top of the can and transfer to a mixing bowl. Reserve remaining liquid coconut milk to use in smoothie.
- Add maple syrup and orange zest, if desired, to mixing bowl and blend until light and airy. Allow coconut cream to warm up slightly before blending if lumps persist. Cover and place bowl in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Add the coconut milk and frozen banana to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth, around 30 seconds.
- Add celery, orange, carrots, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and ice cubes. Blend on high speed until completely combined and creamy, approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Pour into glasses and top with a scoop of coconut whipped cream. Garnish with a dash of cinnamon or finely chopped walnuts, if desired, and serve immediately.
Tip: For best results, use coconut milk that does not contain guar gum to make the whipped cream, it whips up better.