I was recently sent the newest CD by Harry Connick Jr. Your Songs to listen to and review. My husband has spent many years making fun of me because I like the mellow sounds of Harry Connick, Jr. His retort? He’s no Tony Bennett, Frank Sinatra…. or ANY of the other easy listening classic artists.
Maybe it was because the first time I heard him, it was as background music for When Harry Met Sally. Perhaps it was because he was the new wave of classic jazz singers. Oprah loves him – isn’t that enough?
As I was listening to Your Songs, I felt like I was trapped in an elevator. You know what I mean – it’s like being at Disney World and having It’s a Small World After All, stop in the middle of the ride and you’re STUCK listening to THAT song, over and over again. That’s how I feel about Your Song.
It’s been done.
I know he likes to put together compilations of songs that go together. Just look at “Songs I Heard.” I miss the OLD Harry Connick Jr., the iconic jazz singer. That’s what I want. I realize that putting this album together wasn’t his idea (it was Clive Davis’), maybe that’s why it just doesn’t have the heart of his 23 other albums.
For those who’ve never listened to Harry Connick, Jr. – this might be a good album to start with (because you’ll know all of the songs). For FANS, you may just be disappointed.
Album Tracklisting (Originally performed by):
- All The Way (Frank Sinatra)
- Just The Way You Are (Billy Joel)
- Can’t Help Falling In Love With You (Elvis Presley)
- And I Love Her (The Beatles)
- (They Long To Be) Close To You (The Carpenters)
- Besame Mucho
- The Way You Look Tonight
- First Time Ever I Saw Your Face (Roberta Flack)
- Your Song (Elton John)
- Some Enchanted Evening
- And I Love You So (Don McLean)
- Who Can I Turn To? (Tony Bennett)
- Smile (Charlie Chaplin)
- Mona Lisa (Nat King Cole)
Thank you to the One2One Network for providing Harry Connick, Jr.’s Your Songs
to review as well as a copy to give away to one lucky Champagne Living reader.
- Vote for our “sister” site – The Review Broads in the Divine Caroline LOVE! this site contest
- Follow Champagne Living – on the sidebar
- Subscribe to Champagne Living for FREE
- Add us to your Facebook page
- Twitter this giveaway
- Add our badge to your blog/site
- Blog about this giveaway
- Be sure to leave a comment letting me know if you’ve done any of these (if you already subscribe – please note that in the comments as well).
* This giveaway is open to US residents, 13 and over and ends on October 17, 2009 11:59 EST.
* The winner will be randomly chosen and contacted via email.
* The winner has 48 hours to respond to my email or an alternate winner will be chosen.
* Please make sure you check your junk mail folder
* Good Luck