I am a Petcurean Ambassador, and this post is a part of their sponsorship. It’s the only food that I feed Clem, and all opinions are strictly my own.
Those who follow me on social media know that we almost lost Clem to an undetermined illness. He had been in a dog fight with his cousin Betty White the American Bull, but he had a small bite on his ear and an even smaller one on his head. There was hardly any blood and he got sick only 20 hours later. We rushed him to the hospital with a fever. They were going to send him home and have us watch his temperature, telling us that if his fever hit 104 that we were to bring him back immediately as if it went any higher he could die. Minutes later they rushed out to tell us that his fever had hit over 106 and that they were doing everything they could. He was put into an ice bath, given IV fluids, antibiotics, pain killers, etc. We were asked to stay in case we needed to “make a decision.” My husband rushed to the hospital as did my sister-in-law. We were told he’d have to stay overnight and that if they called during the night it wouldn’t be good news.
No phone call came and I rushed back in the morning. His temperature had come down and I brought him directly to his regular veterinarian for a day stay and IV. Today marks 7 days since we brought him home. He’s still on antibiotics and is doing fine. They still don’t know what the fever was due to. It is unlikely that he would have gotten that sick that quickly from a bite (and we knew that Betty had all of her shots, so there was nothing to be passed on). We think he had been sick prior to this, as he had not been acting his usual self. At this point they are just calling it – A FEVER OF UNDETERMINED NATURE. He could have an abscessed tooth, or??? Once he’s off of the antibiotics we’ll have to watch him to see if it returns, but for now Clem is OKAY.
March may be a month for luck and good fortune, but did you know that the iconic shamrock is actually toxic to cats and dogs? You may be surprised by how many common household plants and human foods are poisonous to pets. As pet parents, our hearts break when our furry loved ones get sick. While most instances of poison result in mild to moderate symptoms like discomfort, diarrhea or vomiting, some foods and plants can cause major health issues and even death. March 18 – 24 is NATIONAL ANIMAL POISON PREVENTION WEEK and our friends atPetcurean have important tips for protecting your pet and avoiding hazardous materials.
WHAT TO AVOID FOR DOGS:
- Chocolate – Most pet lovers know that chocolate is a big no-no for Fido. Chocolate is harmful because of a toxic agent called theobromine, which can make your pup extremely ill and even lead to death.
- Grapes – A lesser known fact, grapes can lead to kidney failure in dogs. If you want to give your pup a sweet and healthy treat, opt for blueberries instead.
- Mushrooms – If you have a dog that spends a lot of time outside, it’s crucial to check your yard for mushrooms. There are many species of mushroom that are toxic to pets, such as the Amanita phalloides or ‘Death Cap’ mushroom, a potent poison at only 3 grams. Since there’s a multitude of other species that can harm your pet, it’s best to keep your lawn clean of any mushrooms just to be safe.
- If you suspect your pet has ingested a poisonous mushroom, take them to the vet and bring the mushroom so the clinic can identify what type of toxin or poison they are dealing with.
WHAT TO AVOID FOR CATS:
- Tuna – Although tuna is the classic delicacy for a cartoon cat, you should only feed your cat tuna when it’s produced in a cat food format. Tuna made for humans can cause digestive problems in your cat if fed as an occasional treat. Feeding them tuna on a more consistent basis can cause a painful condition called steatitis, or inflammation of the body’s fat.
- Dairy products – Perhaps as iconic as cats and tuna, cats and milk are also a popular pairing. However, as cats age, they can become lactose intolerant causing them to vomit or have diarrhea after ingesting dairy.
- Lilies – The most common type of lily is toxic to cats only. If your cat eats a lily, it can lead to kidney failure which, if not treated quickly, may result in death.
HARMFUL PLANTS: Many common household plants can have negative effects on your beloved pet. Check your home and make sure you don’t have any of these around!
- Aloe – There are more than 500 species of aloe vera, all of which are poisonous to your pet. Its toxin, saponin, acts as a defense mechanism and will harm your pet if ingested.
- English Ivy – English Ivy is one of the most common forms of ivy to grow along the sides of walls and fences, making them easily accessible by outdoor pets and therefore, especially dangerous.
- Sago Palm – This plant is also a common landscape feature, but a little more difficult for your pet to eat. However, Sago Palm is highly poisonous to pets and can even be fatal.
- Shamrocks – While relatively harmless in small quantities, a large consumption of shamrocks can lead to kidney failure in your pet.
Some foods, such as grapes, chocolate, and onions, are dangerous to both cats and dogs. If your pet is exhibiting any of the below behavior, they may be reacting to something poisonous and should be taken to a vet for immediate attention. You can also call the Animal Poison Control Center 24/7 at 855-764-7661 for less urgent concerns or questions.
- Vomiting or Diarrhea
- Abdominal pain
- Weakness or Lethargy
- Yellowing of the skin (jaundice)
- Uncoordinated movements
- Excessive drooling (ptyalism)
By the way, one of the ways we knew Clem was sick was that he wouldn’t eat and normally all I have to do is pull out a can of Petcurean GO! and he’s circling my feet like a shark. We new he was better when he scarfed down a full can of it and looked up as if he wanted more.
- Clem dines on only the FINEST of dog foods, which is why I choose Petcurean for his nutritional needs.