I have become the QUEEN of the quick getaway. If you follow my travels you know EXACTLY what I mean. While my FAVORITE style is to rent a spot and stay in a neighborhood for a while it’s not always practical. Especially if you just need a quick escape from everyday life. Sometimes that means a weekend with hubby, a short but sweet family vacation, or even BETTER – calling your best girlfriend up and saying
What are you doing next weekend?
What if I told you, we could hop on a plane to a fabulous beach resort, act like a kid again in a water park, hit one of the BEST spas you’ll ever experience, spend time on a private island where you can go horseback riding, and have a handsome waiter bring you a pina colada? OK, you can stop scouring the house for your passport, and you don’t have to break in to your 401K because we’re heading to Puerto Rico. I just checked online and TripAdvisor lists flights starting at $178 RT (from West Palm Beach).
What if I said you’d be staying at a Waldorf Astoria?
And no it doesn’t have to cost you $600 a night. That’s right a WALDORF ASTORIA – one of the BEST hotels on the planet. While the prices normally start at around $179 per night by being patient you should be able to find deals. I’ve seen LOTS of specials for Florida Residents this year, and I happen to know that they’re also offering spa packages for girlfriend getaways that are A-MAZ-ING.
WELCOME TO PARADISE
What can I say? The El Conquistador Resort (there I revealed it) is just one of those places you dream about going…so STOP DREAMING and GO.
- Golden Door Spa
- Palomino Island
- Las Casitas Village
- Coqui Water Park
- 2 levels of SHOPPING (great stores)
- Horseback Riding
I HOPE that you’re hungry because
I can tell you from experience that you won’t need to leave the property for some of the BEST restaurants in the area. I know I’ve overeaten at ALL of them. Here are my PERSONAL recommendations (and yes I returned a bit heavier – but if I had visited the Golden Door spa for more than a sugar scrub I would have been fine).
The Strip House – the MUST stop spot for dinner
Sultry, sexy, and saucy The Strip House offers classic dining with a Puerto Rican twist. Just because you’ve dined in one of their New York or other locations that you think it’s more of the same…just take a look and see what I mean.
- Start with the local calabaza bisque with spiced pumpkin seeds – don’t ask – just DO IT.
- Baby greens, jicama, crispy cheese and guava vinaigrette – who needs boring salads?
- Coriander dusted local snapper, spaghetti squash, Palomino coconut broth and root chips – even the meat eater wants THIS one
- Local herbs marinated beef tenderloin served with mashed ripe and green plantain “Mofongo” and roasted shallots demi – OK, if you’re a die hard carnivore like my hubby and you just don’t eat fish – this is my 2nd choice
- For desserts you HAVE to have the Strip House signature chocolate cake and NY cheesecake – order both and share.
Dining with a view at the Stingray Café.
You’ll be hard pressed to concentrate on the view of Palomino Island and the ocean when you have to choose between
- Pan Roasted Sea Bass with lobster and black truffle risotto in a lobster beurre blanc – I can go peacefully now
- Veal noisette in a natural jus with hen of the woods ragout, leek confit and fingerling potatoes
- Braised short ribs in a port reduction with fresh corn polenta
- Grilled lamb chop, Romesco with lentils du puy
- and a Chocolate Soufflé topped with a Chambord creme Chantilly
For more information about the fabulous El Conquistador Resort
Go to ElConResort.com
Fan them on facebook for great up to the minute deals
Watch Champagne Living