1. Take some YOU time before starting the day. Linger over a cup of coffee with a good book, go for a walk, do yoga, etc. Whatever it is that gives you that feeling of peace before you face the day will set the tone for the next 12+ hours.
2. Make your bed. I know that it’s hard to get ALL of the housework done and if your surroundings are disorderly, you’ll find that the flow of your day will reflect this. I also try to do a quick pick-up as I walk through each room.
3. Create your to-do list and check off the items as you complete them. There’s something about completing tasks that make you know that you’ve accomplished your goals. I keep a small white board by my desk, and I love marking each thing as “DONE.”
4. Take a minute and call a friend. Some time during the day pick up the phone and connect with a friend or family member. We tend to get caught up in our day to day lives and sometimes race through the ENTIRE day without making contact. E-mails and texts don’t count. Hearing their voice can lift your spirits, give you the opportunity to vent, and just know that you’ve got someone in your corner. I talk with friends Jewel, Ava, Sandy, and Rachel almost daily, and of course Ben and I chat a few times each day (thank goodness for my bluetooth earpiece.
5. Do something that you LOVE each day. Watch your favorite TV show, read a great book, work on that great American novel, give yourself a mani/pedi, crank up the stereo with your favorite song and SING at the top of your lungs. Whatever it is that allows you to feel like you’re doing something special for YOU EACH and EVERY day is a key to Champagne Living.
6. Rather than buy yet ANOTHER black t-shirt and jeans, take the money and create a retreat. Treating yourself with fresh flowers, artwork that you adore, and unusual objects that make you smile complete your at-home haven.
7. Say “I Love You” to your family. Don’t expect anything in return, simply enjoy the feeling of loving them.