While I’m not a “new age” type, my mom was macrobiotic (because of an illness) and when I was younger I did subscribe to the macrobiotic and Eastern Philosophies lifestyle. That being said, I really am not all that familiar with Ayurvedic Health treatments, but I DO know that this “healing side of yoga” is a 5,000 year old science from India. Hey, who can argue with 5,000 years of wisdom.
Dr. Virender Sodhi, Ayurvedic MD, Naturopathic Physician and co-founder of R-U-VED Herbs in Redmond, WA. offers 5 ways to stay cool and create balance back to your body). Since the characteristics of Pitta include sharpness, heat, and acidity, a diet and lifestyle with opposite qualities help to restore one’s balance.
With the heat index here in Florida being 105 today and I hear that it’s been VERY hot this summer even in the Northeast these are great tips to remember.
5. Touch – To soothe sensitive skin, balance the emotions and nourish the muscles and nerves, massage yourself with coconut oil before you shower. Afterwards, spray your skin with rose or sandalwood water (made from pure, essential oils) to keep your skin feeling cool all day. Also wear cool, cotton clothing against your skin.
- Avoid outside activities in the heat of the day, especially on an empty stomach or after you have eaten tangy or spicy foods.
- Avoid exercise when it’s hot.
- Walk away from situations that make you see red.
- Do not skip meals, do not fast and do not wait to eat until you are ravenously hungry.
- Wear a wide-brimmed hat and sunglasses to protect your eyes from the sun.
- Drink lots of room temperature water. (Ice water compromises digestion)
- If Pitta dosha is out of balance, you may fall asleep fairly easy, but wake up in the very early hours and find it difficult to get back to sleep. It is important to get to bed early, so that you can get adequate rest each night. A cup of warm milk, with some cardamom can be helpful before bedtime.
- Balance work and play. Set aside time for R&R every day, and do not get so absorbed in a project that you can’t detach from it.
- Set aside about 30 minutes each day for meditation to enhance the body-mind-spirit connection.
And remember – STAY COOL!