You may spend your 30’s and 40’s dreaming about what you’d do if you had the time and the money, but when 50 arrives you can FORGET about all of that talk and get right to the ACTION. Go ahead and make fun of my age, because frankly the perks of being this old would make a even a cocky 21 year old green with envy.
Not only do I have the TIME at 60 to go where I want, but I’ve got deals that you couldn’t get if you spent all of your day searching the internet for that special coupon. I had the opportunity to get UP FRONT AND PERSONAL with many of the companies offering super-special-over-the-top discounts while at the AARP Life@50+ Event in Boston as a guest of Membership Advantages.
Want to know which one’s I’ve already taken advantage of?
1. ZipCar – When my brother let me know there was a ZipCar rental in the parking lot of the condo in Boston, I KNEW that I’d have to get a membership. While I can take the “T” to most spots, there’s NO lugging back cases of water from grocery. When I found out that I’d get a 33% discount on the usual $60 membership at $40 PLUS get $40 in FREE DRIVE TIME (hmmm….$40 membership and $40 in drive time – that makes the membership FREE).
2. AARP Insurance products – Both Mr. S & I have used AARP health insurance services for about 6 years now, and there’s NO looking back.
3. Dining Out – Just the OTHER night we stopped in to McCormick & Schmick’s and were able to get 10% off our bill (not including all of that bubbly I drank – alcoholic beverages are excluded). Mr. S loves sitting at the bar at Outback for dinner when I’m off galavanting, and he loves the 15% off he gets on Mon-Thurs (and weekend lunches).
4. My Morning Fix – While I may be retired from “the bucks”, I’m a New Englander at heart, so my morning Dunkin’ Donuts fix is made SWEETER with that FREE donut they give me, just for showing my card when I buy a large or x-large coffee (is there any OTHER size???).
5. Let’s go out to the movies – We might get a senior discount when buying tickets at the movie theater, but our little secret is the EXTRA $3 we get off of popcorn & a soda once inside our Regal Theater (must also be a Regal Crown Member – which is FREE).
6. A little TECH help – You KNOW that I always seem to be putting “help me” signs all over facebook and twitter when I have a problem with my computer. I may LOVE blogging, but I don’t understand a bit from a byte, and because of that, I made sure to get my $30 off of Geek Squad tech support service plan.
Here’s what I’m PLANNING on scoring over the next few months
7. I’ll be heading to Europe – Not that THAT is a surprise to anyone, but the fact that I can get $65 – $400 off of my flight there is AMAZING (and yes, that’s on TOP of any sale that I find) by flying British Airways.
8. A little TECH help – You KNOW that I always seem to be putting “help me” signs all over facebook and twitter when I have a problem with my computer. I may LOVE blogging, but I don’t understand a bit from a byte, and I’ve decided that Geek
9. As if my discount certificates weren’t already a value – I can get 5 WOW points per dollar on Living Social to use towards FUTURE purchases.
10. THIS IS MY FAVORITE!!! – The ONE thing that I hate throwing money at are CAR REPAIR BILLS. It’s probably since, every time we need a little something done, I see it as another day on vacation that I just tossed away. I can now get 10% off of my car repairs from RELIABLE mechanics via RepairPal (up to $50 off the repair), with REAL work guarantees of 12-months, 12,000 miles. YESSSS…..
- You have to be over 50 years old
- Simply sign up for your AARP Card for $16 per year (you’ll get a card for YOU and one for your spouse).
- Head to: AARP Member Advantages
- Watch for more great deals if you’re over 50 coming SOON!
Thank you to AARP Membership Advantages for letting me in on your little secret when you sent me to the AARP Life@50+ event in Boston last month. I LOVE saving as much as I LOVE spending!