It’s nice to know that the BIG department stores are actually listening to us and are jumping on the Chic for Cheap bandwagon. Stores like Bloomies, Nordies and Saks are now opening MORE outlet stores, making it easy for we fashionable bargain hunters to be terribly “IN” style.
- Bloomingdale’s has four outlet stores planned for 2010 and is expected to boost outlet store openings further in 2011. It has openings planned for Bergen Town Center (Paramus, NJ), Dolphin Mall (Miami), Potomac Mills (Washington DC area) and Sawgrass Mills (Sunrise, FL)
- Nordstrom plans on adding at least 16 new Nordstrom Rack stores in 2010, which boast price points that are about 50 percent lower than those offered in Nordstrom’s traditional department stores.
- Neiman Marcus is following suit and is expected to put most of its expansion emphasis behind its outlet concept, Last Call
- Saks opened a number of Off 5th stores over the last half of 2009, including new stores in the Cincinnati, Los Angeles, Raleigh/Durham, Reno, San Antonio and San Francisco Bay markets. One new Off 5th store is planned in the Dallas market and as many as four more stores will likely be added over the course of 2010.
- Lord & Taylor is also getting into the mix, with a 15,000 square foot outlet store slated for a mid-February opening in the Jersey Gardens Outlet Mall in Elizabeth, New Jersey
Also – stores that are traditionally thought of as discount are expanding as well. I’m most excited about H&M, which plans on opening another 240 stores nationwide this year. H&M and Zara (who plans on opening 10 new stores) are two of my FAVORITE stores for finding trendy pieces at low prices.
This is going to be a GREAT year for fashionistas and those living the Champagne Living lifestyle.