The season for summer parties is here.
If you pride yourself on throwing the best parties every summer, you’re probably busy looking for some great new ideas to make this year’s parties memorable. You’ve probably already got some great ideas of your own, but check out some of these little add-ons you can use at any party to really make sure you are making every detail special.
- Schedule a flower delivery the morning of your party. Whatever the theme of your party, pick an appropriate color scheme and order bouquets in that color scheme. Place bouquets all around the house and the yard or pool area- wherever guests might end up. You can even include some small arrangements using just a few flowers in Mason jars in the bathrooms.
- Use some of the extra or leftover flowers to brighten up your food and drinks. Freeze individual flowers into fun-shaped ice cube trays to compliment your drinks. For example, serve a lavender lemonade drink with frozen lavender ice cubes. Just make sure that whatever flowers you choose to use are in fact edible.
- Choose summer side dishes to prepare. Summer parties tend to work best when they are laid back and easy, so stick to entrees that are easier to prepare and crowd favorites like barbecue and grilled vegetables. Compliment these simple dishes with slightly more unique and summery side dishes. These will ensure you have something for every palette: popular kid dishes like barbecue chicken, more adventurous dishes for the adults, and interesting vegetarian side dishes so that the vegetarian and vegan guests will have enough to eat. For side dishes, try a mint and watermelon salad or grilled eggplant with yogurt sauce. And don’t forget a yummy dessert. You could make this potluck style and have your guests bring dessert items.
- Mix up your drink menu with classic favorites and unique mixes. Order or rent some large glass drink containers with nozzles so guests can easily get refills as they want them. Include one with water (put a tray of fun add-ins on the side like mint and cucumber and lime so those who want flavorings can have them.), one with iced tea, one with lemonade, and one filled with a summer cocktail, like sangria. If you’re hosting a pool party, make your own open bar where guests can serve themselves from pitchers of interesting summery mixed drinks.
- For a smaller party, include summer party favors. For example, if you’re hosting a pool party, buy a pair of inexpensive flip-flops and a pool towel in your alternating party colors for each guest. Leave them stationed around the pool or on your pool chairs for each guest to pick up.
- Try out unique pool and backyard decorations. Get creative and make your own paper lanterns, streamers, banners, or flags for backyard decorations. Lanterns in particular will have the added bonus of creating some nice light as your party goes on into the evening. Get some silly inflatable pool toys in your party colors to decorate the pool.
- Make sure you’ve attended to the details. By both the kitchen and bathroom sink, make sure you have hand soap, hand lotion, and paper towels on hand, and a trash can in plain view.
- Take advantage of your space and your stuff. Be creative with how you turn your yard and home into a party. Got a fun and funky dresser in the right party colors? Why not bring it outside to act as part of your buffet? Got some scarves in your party colors? Turn them into temporary pillow covers with just a few ribbons, or drape them over chairs and couches.
- Shop for bargains. If you want to add a few new decorations to your summer party, check out thrift stores and off-season sales to pick up some good items. For example, head to some area thrift stores and pick up some mismatched flowery plates for your own fun and funky salad plate set that is totally unique but inexpensive.
Keep It Simple.
The secret to hosting a great summer party is to keep things looking fun and effortless. People want to relax at a summer party and the best way to encourage this is to make sure you yourself are relaxed and having fun. Have fun making your party special, but remember to keep it easy in the spirit of summer.