Are you tired of dealing with dry skin that feels itchy and irritated at all times? Well, you are not alone as many of us had to deal with scaly dry skin at some point. However, as per a dermatologist in Lake Nona Florida, it is essential to know the basic reasons behind dry skin before looking for treatment and solutions.
Our skin is the organ in our body that protects the internal body from external elements. When there is a lower level of moisture in the uppermost layers of our skin, it results in dry skin which is also known as xerosis cutis in medical terms. Excessive showering with hot water or excessive sun exposure and the use of harsh soaps and chemical detergents can rob the skin of its vital moisture and lead to dry skin.
Dry skin is not only irritating, but it weakens the protective function of the skin and can impact the look of skin and make it look flaky and rough. Healthy skin should look smooth and well hydrated. You must take good care of your skin at all times and take all the recusations to avoid developing dry skin.
Now that you have developed dry skin, you can either use home-based treatments or seek a doctor’s help to combat this condition. Given below are some pointers to how to keep your skin from getting dry and keep it supple, moisturized, and healthy.
Care and treatment for dry skin:
- Use a mild, fragrance-free cleanser for bathing and avoid hot water, as it can further dry out the skin. If you dislike bathing with cold water, use lukewarm water instead.
- Limit your shower time and keep it to five to ten minutes. Standing in the shower for a long time is not good for the skin and avoid using so much of the cleanser.
- Tap the skin gently with a soft towel to dry and apply a good quality moisturizer minutes after bathing to seal the moisture into the skin.
- It is a good idea to use a cream rather than a lotion as creams are more effective than lotions. When purchasing a cream for dry skin, ensure that it has at least a couple of ingredients such as Jojoba oil, Glycerin, Lactic acid, Mineral oil, Lanolin, etc.
- Keep your hands, legs, and arms well moisturized and keep them safe and protected when you go out.
- Wear gloves in cold weather and use a strong SPF in sunny weather.
Contact your dermatologist if you are still not able to get the results you want and the dry skin condition seems to persist even with all that care and treatment. Sometimes, there are genetic causes behind the dry skin and any kind of chemicals or temperature changes can cause the skin to dry from the deepest layers. In those cases, you may need to use specially designed products to increase water-binding capacities and prevent dry skin from developing.
Follow the above tips and guidelines to achieve healthier-looking skin and prevent your skin from drying up.