When I was a kid, I remember my mother doing everything in her power to get me to drink milk. I HATED it. There’s no way that I was going to drink that YUCKY white drink. She even had a hard time getting me to eat cereal, all because I didn’t want milk.
One thing that she could get me to drink was chocolate milk. Come to find out, I was lactose intolerant, which is WHY I never wanted milk (hey mom, you made me drink stuff that made my tummy hurt). Thank goodness for the invention of those pills like Lactaid, because now I can enjoy dairy without the discomfort.
Of course, I still LOVE chocolate milk….but it has to be VERY RICH and VERY CREAMY (hey, I’m picky).
My son (B) grew up on Horizon Organic Milk. At the grocery store he’d always ask for his cow jumping over the earth milk and it’s what I pick up today when I need not only milk, but other dairy products as well. Part of my choice is visual (yes, I LOVE the colors and graphics that Horizon uses) and the other part of my knows that I’m getting the BEST quality products with no added JUNK (like BHT).
It’s now just my husband and I at the mansion, so we don’t buy chocolate milk as much as we used to. I didn’t even know that Horizon products made a chocolate milk until I was asked to try it. I went out and bought the half gallon of Horizon Organic Lowfat Chocolate Milk Plus DHA Omega-3.
The chocolate that they use is deep and rich, so it’s a chocolate milk that the ENTIRE family can enjoy. I actually put some into my coffee to make a sort of a mocha. Then it dawned on me that if you warm some on the stove and use have coffee and half warm Horizon Organic Lowfat Chocolate Milk Plus DHA Omega-3 you’d have yourself a wonderful mocha café au lait. I know that I don’t get enough calcium in my diet, so this is going to be the way that I can treat myself and STILL do something GREAT for my bones, plus the added DHA Omega-3 will help support heart, brain and eye health.
I had no problem finding this milk at my neighborhood grocery store (I shop at Publix) and it is available in lowfat half gallons and quarts.
DHA belongs to a category of healthy fatty acids known as Omega-3’s.
Found in high concentrations in the tissues of the brain and eye, DHA Omega-3 is thought to help support healthy function in these areas. DHA has also been shown to help support heart health.
- DHA provides a nutritional boost for children’s growing minds and bodies.
- Children’s brains grow incredibly fast. In fact, the brain nearly quadruples in the first five years of life.
- DHA is a key structural component of the brain, yet many young children don’t get their recommended daily amount of DHA as it is found in a limited number of food sources.
- Horizon Organic Milk Plus DHA Omega-3 is fortified with a natural, 100 percent vegetarian and sustainable source of DHA – a safe, wholesome, delicious way to bring more of this important nutrient into your family’s diet.
- Visit http://www.horizonorganicdha.
com/ to learn more!
Flavored Milk is a Nutrient-Rich Beverage
- Flavored milk provides the same nine essential nutrients as unflavored milk (calcium, potassium, phosphorous, protein, vitamins A, D, B12, Riboflavin and niacin), and can help kids meet their calcium requirements.
- Flavored milk consumers did not have higher total fat or calorie intakes than non milk consumers
Kids Love the Taste of Flavored Milk
- According to 2005 USDA data, 66% of the milk chosen by children in schools is flavored
Chocolate Milk is an Effective Post-Exercise Recovery Beverage
- A 2006 study showed that low fat milk was as effective at post-exercise rehydration as sports drinks
- Because of the natural carb:pro ratio in flavored milks, low fat chocolate milk is an effective post-exercise recovery beverage.
- The appropriate carb:pro ratio for improving endurance performance is about 4:1 However, effective ranges can vary from 2:1 and up to 5:1.
Consuming carbohydrate and protein post workout has been shown to:
- Enhance muscle glycogen formation
- Promote a hormonal environment that encourages muscle growth
- Promote muscle protein production
- May lessen immune-suppressive effects due of intense exercise
Horizon offers coupons for their products. Simply sign up on their website.
Thank you to Horizon Dairy for providing me with coupons to purchase this product as well as offering a giveaway. I was in no way compensated for this post and all opinions are strictly my own.
- Join the Champagne Living Community – NEW!
- Blog about this giveaway on YOUR blog!
- Follow Champagne Living – on the sidebar
- Check out “B’s” new blog and subscribe at I Pity the Blog
- Subscribe to Champagne Living for FREE
- Link to this giveaway on your Facebook page
- Follow me on twitter
- Twitter this giveaway
- Add our badge to your blog/site
- Be sure to leave a comment letting me know if you’ve done any of these (if you already subscribe or have our badge – please note that in the comments as well).
* This giveaway is open to US residents, 18 and over and ends on March 3, 2010 11:59 EST.
* The winner will be randomly chosen and contacted via email.
* The winner has 48 hours to respond to my email or an alternate winner will be chosen.
* Please make sure you check your junk mail folder
* Good Luck