I received a Shark Genius Steam Mop to review, I fell in LOVE with it. All of the rest of the items I’ve had in my cleaning arsenal for a very long time.
Do you hate cleaning?
Me too. As a matter of fact, I hate to clean so much that I used to write fantasy articles about having a maid. The truth was, that I am the one who ends up doing all or most of the chores aroung the house. Most of us have to force ourselves to get our cleaning over and done with, and when we do it, we are usually looking for the quickest and easiest way out. While there are lots of tricks, tips, and shortcuts you can use, we think the best way to simplify your cleaning routine is with the right tools. Below are the basics we recommend you have on hand.
(Melamine) Sponge Eraser
When these came on the market, it was a revelation. This seemingly simple sponge can get just about anything off of any surface. Use it to take crayons off the wall, grease off the stove, and even stains off the toilet.
No need for a fancy, name brand here; just make sure you always have a collection of simple sponges on hand. Get a variety, because they each do their own, special job, and keep them stocked, since you should toss them after a few weeks of use—they harbor bacteria.
What did we ever do without them? These cloths are great for wicking away dirt and debris while also being gentle on all surfaces. Use them for polishing, dusting, and more.
This new generation of cleaning pads for both mop and dusting are like magnets for dust and dirt. They can be a lifesaver for those with allergies who need to get the house clean and allergen free, but they are also just really easy to use for those who want to simplify their routine. Look into a squirt mop as well for the easiest mopping you will ever do. NOTE: If you run out of the diposable cloths, simply put a microfiber cloth on your duster and it will work well.
Cleaning products can get expensive, and they are often quite harsh. A great alternative is to whip up a solution of your own. Great cleaners can be made from basic household items. However, you will need some spray bottles to use them.
Basic Broom and Dust Pan
Finally, they aren’t fancy, but they are needed. From daily sweeping to broken glasses, these are two items every home will need and you simply must have on hand.
The Shark Genius Steam Mop
Other than a throw rug or two my floors are either tile, laminate, or wood. Keeping them clean means more than just a sweep or vacuum. White tile seems to always look a bit on the muddy side, while my unfinished floors look like I’ve had a pack of wolves running wild. There are paw prints EVERYWHERE.
The ONLY product that I’ve found to keep on top of it is the Shark Genius Steam Mop, and what a genius it is. I’ve had other steam mops and this one is HANDS DOWN the best and smartest (hence the “genius”) that I’ve owned.
What makes it better?
- The mop head is WIDER than any of the others that I’ve tried, making my job go a lot quicker as I can cover more floor territory.
- It steams evenly over the entire mop surface, so there’s no going back and forth, back and forth to make sure to get all of the area.
- No fumbling for a steam button. I simply lift and flip the mop head, pushing it to the floor. It immediately emits a blast of high velocity steam JUST where I need it for an extra boost. Kitchen, dog and husband spills are easy to mop up (I’ve pretty much tossed any scraping I used to do).
- Using steam vs. chemicals is a no-brainer. While I don’t have little ones anymore, I do have a dog who licks his paws (and the floor). I don’t want him getting sick from cleaning solution.
- The TOUCH FREE TECHNOLOGY means that you just lift and press a button to release the mop head. There’s no chance of burning yourself on the hot surface this way.
- It sanitizes. Living in Florida I have geckos, and other creepy crawlers that seem to find there way in when I open the back sliders to the pool. I have NO IDEA what kind of diseases or gook that they bring in, but a once over with the Shark Genius Steam Mop and I really don’t have to worry and the steam removes 99% of common household bacteria.
- With THREE settings (low, medium, and high) you can control how much steam you want. For example, I worry about using too much steam on the laminate so I keep the mop on low, but once I hit that tile in the bathroom – I push it straight to HIGH STEAM.
- Storing is easy, as it’s got a slimline design, lightweight, with hooks to wrap the cord around.
For more about my favorite steam mop visit Shark Genius
All other cleaning items you probably have.