At least once a week I’ll stare at Mr. S and ask him WHAT he wants for dinner. This is my “code” for, I’m running out RIGHT NOW to get something because I don’t feel like cooking and I have no clue what I want to eat.
His answer is ALWAYS the same. CHINESE
Now, you’d think that I’d be THRILLED not to have to plan, cook or clean up and just run out to pick up dinner. BUT – the nearest Chinese restaurant is about 10 minutes away AND it’s not that great. The closest PF Chang’s (which is my favorite) is between 45 minutes and an hour away (and at my favorite Mall – which means it’s usually coupled with a trip to Nordstrom, Saks and Bloomies).
Guess what I’ve discovered? PF Chang’s is available at home, even if you don’t have one of their restaurant’s nearby. What I’ve foundis that if I plan things well (which means stocking my freezer ahead of time), I can enjoy the flavors of my favorite Chinese restaurant at home. Not only that, but the time it takes to prepare one of these meals is LESS time than it takes to go pick up take-out!!!
Within the past week, I’ve already tried three different varieties. I was sent ONE coupon to try it and as you can tell – Mr. S and I BOTH loved the fresh flavor and distinct spices of PF Chang’s.
Luckily, my local Wal-Mart carries PF Chang’s Home Menu, so now when I do my “regular” shopping, I just pick up 2 or 3 bags to keep in the freezer for “those nights” when I traditionally ask – “What do you want for dinner?”
What you can expect:
- The same fresh flavor that you get in PF Chang’s restaurant (only the proteins are pre-cooked so your veggies will NOT be overcooked when you heat the meals up)
- Cooking time is approx. 12 minutes (the rice that I make to go with it takes twice as long)
- No dicing, no mess, just ONE 10″ skillet (easy clean up)
- NO MSG!!!!
- 2 Servings per bag (although I usually make 2 bags – just for the variety)
I’m eventually going to try ALL of the varieties, but so far we’ve had
- General Chang’s Chicken (twice) – Mr. S’s FAVORITE!
- Shanghai Style Beef – OMG, why can’t I cook like this?
- Sweet and Sour Chicken – Good, but I like the General Chang’s and Shanghai Beef better)
Still to try are
- Beef with Broccoli
- Orange Chicken
- Ginger Chicken and Broccoli
- Shrimp in a Garlic Sauce
- Shrimp Lo Mein
The price is much less than you’d pay if you were going OUT to dinner (about $7.50 a package), but more than your traditional frozen meal, but you ARE getting restaurant quality.
Looking for a grocery that carries PF Chang’s Home Menu? Just check out their list of locations.
Thank you to PF Chang’s Home Menu for providing me with a coupon for a free package in order to complete this review (and fuel my new addiction). I was in no way compensated and all opinions are strictly my own.