With the chill of September on the horizon, this month’s featured Southern Living Source recipe combines traditional comfort food with the surprise of caramel topping (like a caramel apple minus the stick). Enjoy your delicious transition from summer to fall!
“Caramel Apple Coffee Cake is simply divine! It doubles as a delicious breakfast treat for company and an easy dessert for any occasion. The melt-in-your-mouth caramel sauce is the icing on the cake—you can make it up to one week in advance.” – Shannon Satterwhite
Yield: Makes 8 to 10 servings
Total time: 4 Hours, 50 Minutes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups peeled and sliced Granny Smith apples (about 3 large)
- Streusel Topping (see recipe below)
- Caramel Sauce (see recipe below)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Melt 2 Tbsp. butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add apples; sauté 5 minutes or until softened. Remove from heat; cool completely (about 30 minutes).
2. Meanwhile, prepare Streusel Topping and Caramel Sauce. Reserve 1/2 cup Caramel Sauce for another use.
3. Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition.
4. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Pour batter into a greased and floured shiny 9-inch springform pan; top with apples. Drizzle with 1/2 cup Caramel Sauce; sprinkle with Streusel Topping.
5. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Cover loosely with aluminum foil to prevent excessive browning; bake 25 to 30 minutes or until center is set. (A wooden pick will not come out clean.) Cool in pan on a wire rack 30 minutes; remove sides of pan. Cool completely on wire rack (about 1 1/2 hours). Drizzle with 1/2 cup Caramel Sauce.
Streusel Topping (see recipe below)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Stir together flour, pecans, melted butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, cinnamon, and salt until blended.
- Let stand 30 minutes or until firm enough to crumble into small pieces.
Caramel Sauce (see recipe below)
Yield: Makes about 1 1/2 cups
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup honey
- Bring brown sugar, butter, whipping cream, and honey to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring constantly; boil, stirring constantly, 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and cool 15 minutes before serving.
- Store in an airtight container in refrigerator up to 1 week.
- To reheat, microwave at HIGH 10 to 15 seconds or just until warm; stir until smooth.
Thank you to Southern Living magazine for this delicious recipe.