The staycation was the “getaway” of 2009. But WHY limit yourself to a once or twice a year vacation when you can explore your surrounding area EVERY week? Having just returned home from a day in the Big Apple I got to thinking about how much fun it is to get away.
Why not make a pledge to get away once a week or once a month? You don’t have to go through the hassle and expense of making travel arrangements, etc. Every spring/summer I go away at least monthly. I take off for Fort Lauderdale or another city that’s within an hour or so drive of where I live and I’m a tourist for the day. There’s no need to spend a LOT of money.
Think about what you enjoy doing when you’re on vacation. If I go to New York, I love going to the museums and taking in a show. Why not do the same at home?
1. Go listen to a REHEARSAL of the symphony or pops orchestra in your area. Rehearsal tickets are usual VERY inexpensive.
2. Check out local community, repertory and college theater. Don’t forget that many theaters offer RUSH tickets (yes, even some Broadway shows).
3. Never had Moroccan or another type of food? Have LUNCH (always less than dinner) at a restaurant you think is exotic.
4. Check out local art galleries. Get on their list of “openings” and you could find yourself with a glass of wine in hand, enjoying some hors d’oeuvres FREE of charge as you chat with the artist and admire their work.
5. Go out for dessert. When I’m in Providence, I used to have dinner at home and then go to Pastiche on Federal Hill for a sinful slice of cake and coffee. It’s less than dinner out and OH, SO SPECIAL.
Is there something that YOU enjoy that we might all benefit from? Feel free to leave your idea in the comments, I’d LOVE to try out new ideas and places.