“It is going to be very stressful to fly this summer. Fewer flights to choose from and more crowded planes lead to more delays, missed connections and cancellations. That doesn’t paint a pretty picture for those thinking about flying,” said Rich White, executive director, Car Care Council. “Driving is simply more convenient and less hectic than flying, and dramatically less costly – a much better deal.”
USA Today reports the average Memorial Day roundtrip fare will be $332, up 16 percent from this time last year. Therefore, the average cost for a family of four to fly is $1,328, while the cost for the family to travel by car is about the same as airfare for one person.
Travel by vehicle costs less, is more convenient, is not as stressful and offers a number of advantages over flying, including:
- Leave when you want from where you want.
- No airport parking.
- No waiting in long ticket counter and security lines.
- No weather delays.
- Pack whatever and as much as you want.
- Stop and stretch any time.
- More and better meal options.
- No rental car or taxi expenses.
- More legroom and overall comfort.
- No strangers sitting next to you.
- Convenience and ease of taking your pet with you
Visit CarCare.org for MORE information or a copy of the council’s Car Care Guide