I should soooo be on a diet, but it’s 4th of July weekend and I’m ready for fireworks, cookouts and some of Southern Living Magazine’s Peanut-Cola Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting to cap the celebration.
Total time: 1 hour
- 1 cup cola soft drink
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Peanut Butter Frosting
- 1 cup chopped honey-roasted peanuts
- Preheat oven to 350°. Combine cola and buttermilk in a 2-cup measuring cup.
- Beat butter at low speed with an electric mixer until creamy.
- Gradually add sugar, beating until blended.
- Add eggs and vanilla; beat at low speed just until blended.
- Combine flour and next 2 ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Add to butter mixture alternately with cola mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- Beat at low speed just until blended after each addition.
- Pour batter into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch pan.
- Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare Peanut Butter Frosting. Pour over warm cake. Sprinkle with chopped peanuts.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 (16-oz.) package powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
Note: Total time includes frosting.
Peanut Butter Frosting
Yield: Makes 3 cups
Total time: 10 minutes