I’m NOT ready to give up summer…not just yet. I know, the saying goes when you “retire” to Florida that EVERYDAY is a weekend, and since it’s warm year round it’s ALWAYS SUMMER. But, old habits are difficult to change, and when September comes so does my routine and my mindset.
What BETTER ways to celebrate those dog days of summer than with a drink, rich with rum? Rum and tropical vacations seem to go hand and hand….so, keep that summer mindset, find your favorite South Florida watering hole, or mix yourself one of these hearty tropical flavored cocktails created by some of my favorite bartenderrs and forget about the Fall. Besides, it’s RUM MONTH!
Say cheers to National Rum Month this August at CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa on Mexico’s Pacific coast. The resort’s brand new poolside CocoBar offers a variety of cocktails, all served in coconuts and incorporating coconut water to help guests stay hydrated and beat the summer heat. Enjoy the resort’s signature rum cocktail, Coco Libre, a mouth-watering tropical cocktail served in a coconut that includes white rum, watermelon, and coconut water.
Filthy Colada – Red, the Steakhouse
- 1.5 oz Bacardi
- 0.5 oz Coco Lopez
- 0.5 oz Pineapple Juice
- 0.5 oz. Filthy Cherry
- 1 Ron Zacapa Floater
- Mix all ingredients in glass over ice.
- Float Ron Zacapa and enjoy!
Mayan Prince Cocktail – JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa
- 1 oz Malibu
- 1 oz Midori
- 1 oz white rum
- 1 oz fresh pineapple juice
- .5 oz vodka
- .5 oz Curacao
- .5 oz lemon juice
- Add the Malibu, Midori and lemon into a hurricane glass and blend, and then add the remaining ingredients.
- Garnish with a pineapple slice and cherry and serve.
Miami Club Mojito – Stanton South Beach
- 1 ½ oz Miami club rum
- ¼ oz simple syrup
- Splash of coconut puree
- Splash of club soda
- Muddle 6-8 mint leaves and 4 lime wedges
- Insert one stick of fresh sugar cane
Honeymoon – Westin Playa Bonit
- 2 oz. dark rum
- 1.5 oz. Kahlua
- coconut milk or cream
- pineapple juice
- Blend dark rum, coconut milk, pineapple juice and Kahlua with ice.
- Serve in a tall glass with pineapple garnish.
Bajan Rum Punch – Elegant Hotels
- 1.5 oz Mount Gay Eclipse
- 1 oz Simple Syrup
- 1/2 oz Lime Juice
- 4 oz Water
- 2 dashes Angostura Bitters
- 1 dash Ground Nutmeg
- 1/2 oz Velvet Falernum
- Mix all ingredients (except Falernum) in a Collins glass over ice.
- Float Falernum and finish with one dash of Angostura and garnish with a lemon wheel and cherry.
Rum Island – San Juan Marriott
- 1/2 oz. Bacardi Coco
- 1/2 oz. Bacardi Dragonberry
- 1/2 oz. Bacardi Apple
- 1/2 oz. Bacardi Lemon
- 2 oz. sour
- 2 oz. cranberry juice
- Mix all ingredients in a shaker and pour over ice.
- Garnish with a lemon wedge and a cherry.
- 1 1/2 oz of Zacapa Centennial Rum
- 3 oz of mixed fruits juice
- 1/4 oz of Dubonnet Wine
- Pour all ingredients into shaker with ice cubes.
- Shake well and strain in a chilled glass.
- Garnish with a slice of lime.
I prefer to sit at the bar and have my drinks prepared for me. Want to do the same? Head to
- Red, the Steakhouse
- Tabacón Thermal Resort & Spa
- Jupiter Beach Resort & Spa
- St. Kitts Marriott Resort & The Royal Beach Casino
- CasaMagna Marriott Puerto Vallarta Resort & Spa
- CasaMagna Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa
- Circa 39 Hotel
- Marriott Stanton South Beach
- Aruba Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
- Colony Club
- The Westin Playa Bonita
- Sandpearl Resort
- Opal Sands Resort
- Netto Bar
- San Juan Marriott Resort & Stellaris Casino
- Casa Palopo
- W Minneapolis – The Foshay
- W Fort Lauderdale
- French Leave Resort